What is C programming?
C is a general-purpose programming language that is extremely popular, simple and flexible. It is machine-independent, structured programming language which is used extensively in various applications. C was the basics language to write everything from operating systems (Windows and many others) to complex programs like the Oracle database, Git, Python interpreter and more. It is said that ‘C’ is a god’s programming language. One can say, C is a base for the programming. If you know ‘C,’ you can easily grasp the knowledge of the other programming languages that uses the concept of ‘C’ It is essential to have a background in computer memory mechanisms because it is an important aspect when dealing with the C programming language.
Advantages of “C”
Modularity is one of the important characteristics of C. we can split the C program into no. of modules instead of repeating the same logic statements (sequentially). It allows reusability of modules.
Middle level language
A middle level language C combines both the advantages of low level and high level languages. (arrays,pointers etc).
General purpose programming language:
C can be used to implement any kind of applications such as math’s oriented, graphics, business oriented applications.
we can compile or execute C program in any operating system(unix,dos,windows).
Powerful programming language
C is very efficient and powerful programming language, it is best used for data structures and designing system software.C is case sensitive language.
Disadvantages of “C”
Every coin has two sides, as C Language has also some disadvantages. C Language has not any major disadvantages but some features is missing in the C Language, obviously that’s why C Language is very much powerful now.
Object Oriented Programming Features (OOPS)
Object Oriented Programming Features is missing in C Language, You have to develop your program using procedure oriented language only.
Run Time Type Checking is Not Available
In C Language there is no provision for run time type checking, for example i am passing float value while receiving parameter is of integer type then value will be changed, it will not give any kind of error message.
C does not provides namespace features, so you can’t able to use the same variable name again in one scope. If namespace features is available then you can able to reuse the same variable name.
Constructor and Destructor is not available
C does not provides object oriented features, so it don’t have Constructor and Destructor features. Constructor and Destructor is used to construct object and destroy object. So in C Language you have to implement manually construction and destruction of the variable using function or by other means.
Where is C used?
- ‘C’ language is widely used in embedded systems.
- It is used for developing system applications.
- It is widely used for developing desktop applications.
- Most of the applications by Adobe are developed using ‘C’ programming language.
- It is used for developing browsers and their extensions. Google’s Chromium is built using ‘C’ programming language.
- It is used to develop databases. MySQL is the most popular database software which is built using ‘C’.
- It is used in developing an operating system. Operating systems such as Apple’s OS X, Microsoft’s Windows, and Symbian are developed using ‘C’ language. It is used for developing desktop as well as mobile phone’s operating system.
- It is used for compiler production.
- It is widely used in IOT applications.\
The reasons to use C for the following
- C is one of the foundations for modern information technology (IT) and computer science (CS).
- C is the most commonly used programming language in industry.
- C is the language of choice for programming embedded and mechanization systems with hardware interfaces.
- C is one of the most commonly used programming languages in colleges and universities.
- C is the base for almost all popular programming languages.
- and many more…